Tuesday, September 23, 2014


I arrived Friday night and was asleep around 12/1 that night. I slept in and headed out to see the city around noon. Stockholm is very walkable and is easily navigated as many of the main areas of interest are on different islands. I got off at an early stop and started walking just to see the area along my way. I found a street closed to traffic with lots of people out and about. In the middle of the street were all sorts of activities; large chess set, fake ice skating rink, ping pong table, fake grass with lawn chairs and tables. It was pretty fun. Times like these are when it is nice to have a travel buddy. Not quite as fun to play ping pong by yourself ;).
My rented room

This island has a huge cliff down to the water and you get a great view of the city across the way. I could see my destination in site....now to find the ferry. There were tons of people and music to the left, eventually I figured out it was the gay pride parade and I had to head that way to catch the ferry. 
The parade

The ferry

The ferry was quick and I got to the island which I think they designed specifically for the tourists :). It is a concentration of parks, museums and other attractions. I was looking forward to the Vasa Museum which is a ship from over 300 years ago that was recovered only about 1km off the coast and it is 98% orginal. It was very cool. I watched the film, took the guided tour and then walked around on my own. It was pretty amazing. The ship's first voyage was its last as they built it too narrow, with not enough weight in the bottom and they had left the gun ports open after firing a ceremonial shot and the water easily flooded in the gun port holes as the wind started to rock the boat. 
The real ship and a replica of the original look

I was chased out at closing time and unfortunately missed the gift shop. I like museum gift shops as you can often find very unique items there. 

I started to walk and look for a cafe that was recommended. Unfortunately, after a long walk, it was closed already (@ 6pm). I walked, caught the tram and then the ferry to get back where I started. I was near the photography museum, which was open late (like 10 or 11) and decided to go there before dinner. It wasn't as big as I expected but did have some cool photos...and some weird ones. I left there and climbed the stairs up the same cliff from earlier in the day. There is a vegetarian restaurant that was highly recommended there, Hermans. Turns out it is a buffet and you buy a plate, but they remove the food at 9, and it was 9. So I left, thwarted by another restaurant. The sun had set and the skies were growing darker, so I took the train back.  There is a little shop outside my stop. I got a gyro there and ate as I walked back. I was tired. It was now almost 10. I cleaned up, did some internet stuff and headed to bed. I awoke in the early morning hours to a huge thunderstorm. I was glad not to be in a tent and began thinking of what lay ahead and if I was truly prepared to do this backpacking. Too late now, but the nerves began. 
Sunset over the city

I got up at a decent hour and I felt pretty good on the jet lag. I took my time trying to sort through my things, repack and prepare for the day. Helen, the owner, stopped by and we chatted about my plans, about Sweden and got into some GMO discussions when she found out I grew up on a farm. We are probably on opposite sides of the discussion but it was a good discussion none the less and I totally hear where she's coming from. 

She helped me with all my luggage and drove me to the train station. We parted and I went to the central train station to sort out the rest of my day. I arrived around 1 but my train wasn't until 5:50. I first had to settle a duplicate charge to my card for a ticket that was never issued. It was so much easier than I ever imagined. No questions asked and didn't have to wait too long. Loving Sweden :). I found the lockers downstairs almost completely full. I luckily happened upon an Asian girl removing her stuff from a big bin, which I needed. I had some trouble with a pin code but fixed it. All locked up and I headed back to try Herman's (the vegetarian restaurant). I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm usually a meat person. My motto has been in the past if there is meat to eat, I'll be fine. It was mostly pretty good though. Only one item, kinda chilli like, had some harder (I assume root veggies) stuff in it that I didn't care for. The venue itself is pretty awesome though, again a fun place to hang with others. 

Back to the train station where I sat waiting on during a two hour delay to switch out a broken car. At least it wasn't our car :). I started with one cabin mate - Singna (pronounced that way but maybe not spelled that way) - and was on my way. 

Waiting on the train 
My luggage
The train car - I got the very top bunk for my 18 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment