Monday, August 9, 2010

Happy 45th!

Today was Singapore's 45th birthday - I think I mentioned it in a previous post.  There is a parade and show that is put on.  The tickets are a hot item so I opted to enjoy the live televised version.  The parade portion was mainly all the military vehicles that I posted pics of before.  There are spectator stands put up downtown and the parade is really just in front of that area rather than what I would think of as a typical parade.  I had mentioned to someone earlier in the week about how early you had to camp out a spot and where you could go, which was when I realized it wasn't like sitting on the street curb waiting for the party to come by you.

The full military went by and they had announcers just like the Macy's or Rose Parade telling what each type of vehicle it was, war-time function and various military heads.  Different than what I was use to, but interesting to see it all. 

After dark, I heard a rumbling and the procession was continuing around the island and right by my condo.  But I mainly only saw lights.  Then more booms indicated the fireworks had started and I watched on TV.  This year, they set off fireworks from the top of several tall towers across downtown.

Here are a couple pictures and short video (ending with the President of Singapore) taken from the wonderful vantage point of my couch :).



1 comment:

  1. Wow! It is so beautiful there! Happy Birthday, Singapore...I can't wait to visit! :)

    P.S. The margarita sucked! ;)

    ReplyDelete