Monday, February 9, 2015

Daily Journal

I've never been good at journaling. Similar to the blog, sometimes so much happens that it feels like a daunting task to spend time writing it all down. However I have a new plan. When I was home in January preparing for this trip, I stopped in a Barnes and Noble one day. All of the calendars were on sale and I started to look at the daily planners. I realized if I got a small one that limited how much I could write maybe I'd have more incentive to record the highlights of the day. 

So far I've been very good about keeping current. I thought I'd share some of the random things from my first two weeks in Guatemala. 

-My driver from the airport hit 130 km/h (about 80mph) at least once in driving me to Antigua. 

-The first night and morning were filled with noises from the roosters nearby. 

-Saw a local soccer match (stadium was packed) my first day walking to town. 

-Saw two cars, one with Wisconsin plates and the other with Oregon plates. Otherwise everyone has Guatemala plates. 

-Day 2 started my cycle of not sleeping before midnight. More on that another day. 

-Watched some YouTube tutorials about my Nikon DSLR camera. 

-Talked with Paola (owner) and the other guest about funny kids names: Darling, Michael Jordan and my favorite, Usnavy. Yes, that is US Navy because it was written on the boats when the Americans came to town (pronounced oos-nah-vee). 

-Finished watching the current season of Downtown Abbey from some website. 

-After a week, finally figured out how to get hot water in the shower rather than lukewarm. 

-Took my first yoga class ever. 

-All the money I had withdrawn from the ATM, $125, was gone after one week. I'll post separately on my budgeting. 

-I've had one sick day where my sinuses were out of whack. 

-Had my first Spanish tutoring session - I'd forgotten more than I realized. 

Not many pictures for this post, but I'll leave you with an iconic one of the arch in Antigua. 

No comments:

Post a Comment