Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Backpacking School update

It is official now, I've passed the health check and enrolled in a new NOLS course after my Wyoming class was cancelled. I'm not really sticking with my plan to see the US, but on the bright side I'm headed to Sweden for the first time!

I will spend the first half of August in northern Sweden, north of the Arctic Circle (look for Abisko, Sweden on the map) which is our starting point. 

Then I head straight to Lima Peru for my Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu and sightseeing. Both should be exciting times and a very busy August (leave 7/31, back home 9/2). 

I'm still taking July to try and get physically fit. Hopefully I can make some progress. I plan to visit friends in Michigan, Memphis, Denver and Des Moines on the weekends and do some hikes during the week. 

A friend recently gave me a couple survival ropes he made, around 15' and 29'. They are all tied around themselves and you can slide the chain off one end and, wa-la, you have one long piece of rope. Pretty awesome. I hope I don't snag them accidentally as I probably couldn't get them back into the very neat looking braid-thingy. :)

Last weekend I went to Aurora for their paddle fest where they offered free kayaking and canoeing sessions. I did the solo canoe. Much tippy-er than the kayaks I'm use to. I learned a lot, such as how to paddle straight when only paddling on one side. What I didn't realize is that in these canoes you are suppose to kneel instead of sit. My legs fell asleep about 10-15 minutes in. It took a while to get out of the canoe after having been on the water for 1.5 hours :). Lots of fun and a perfect day! Then I stopped at the DMV to get my motorcycle plates. Very productive Saturday morning!


Have a great week and weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment