Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Vegas, Baby

Some people are a bit shocked when I tell them I've never been to Vegas. Well, now I have. My first rule about going to Vegas will in the future be 'don't go solo'. I mean I still had a nice time but I think you need to have company for it to really be enjoyable. 


I crossed the state line and of course had to stop at the engineering marvel that is the Hoover Dam. Notice the lake behind the dam. See that white ring? That's where the water level was previously. You know that drought mentioned out West? Here's evidence. I think the lake is half or one third of its previous level.


I'm not sure what I expected but it was a bit of a let down. Parking was like $10, so I opted not to go down to the actual dam. Instead there is a new memorial bridge that is on the side of the highway and provides a far-away view of the dam and Lake Mead behind. The stories of the two men to whom the bridge is dedicated were interesting. One from Arizona and one from Nevada - both Veterans. Google Mike O'Callaghan and Pat Tillman if you're interested. 


I stayed at a nice place - the Hilton Vacation Club behind/sorta attached to the Flamingo. I checked out both pools for sure :) a relaxing couple of days.

I did the obligatory evening stroll down the strip to people watch and catch the Bellagio fountain show. It was pretty cool and seemed like it is different throughout the night. I caught a Cirque show as well. I didn't have a bad time by any means, just think it would be better to have a partner in crime ;). 

No comments:

Post a Comment